Here you’ll find recent and past news and announcements. This page also serves as a bibliography of prose, poems, presentations and other works.
- The Fall 2022 edition of the Rejoice! Devotional includes some writings from me. [View]
- “In the Homestretch of Retirement” is scheduled to appear in the Winter 2021-2022 edition of the REJOICE! daily devotional Mennonite publication. The essay was posted here on 9 Nov 2021. [Read]
- “Revolving door of mental illness can lead to jail — but does it have to?” The Gazette, 7 Oct 2021. Excerpt: “Now, if she sees someone acting strangely but benignly on the street, her first instinct is not to call the police but to call people best equipped to help. That strangely acting person could have been her, she said, if she didn’t have a supportive family, effective medication and robust treatment.” [Read Story]
- Daily Devotionals Rejoice! magazine July 12-17, 2021
- And again I Say…(a re-poem), Rejoice! magazine March/April/May 2021.
- The Joy of Gratitude, Anabaptist World magazine December 2020
- The Blues Aren’t Blue: An Un-Suicide note, Hospice Writing Contest entry 2019
- Wisdom in Creation, Call to Worship for First Mennonite Church 2018
- Memories of Millie, Witty Kitties newsletter 2018
- Margalea Warner shares her piece “On Becoming the Helen Keller of Schizophrenia” at the Englert Theatre in Iowa City. (Video by This is My Brave, Inc. posted to YouTube 31 Oct 2018) [View on YouTube]
- Giving Thanks While Living with Loss, Purpose magazine 2017.
- Compeer: Fighting Isolation caused by Mental Illness, Compeer newsletter 2017.
- Abiding in a City Hospital on a Holy Night, poem for First Mennonite Christmas Eve, 2017
- Remembering Silence on All Saints Day, Daughters of Sarah, Anabaptist Feminist magazine, circa 1990s (I no longer have hard copy). Poem also featured on Church of the Saviour Inward Outward blog circa 2016.
- Awakening to the Goodness of God’s Home, poem for First Mennonite Christmas Eve 2016.
2012 – 2014
- Talk to University of Iowa Medical Students who are on their Psychiatric Clerkship, quarterly since 2014.
- Millie and Me, self-published chapbook of stories and poems, May 2013
- Holy Play with Dolls, Purpose 2013
- Joy is Hidden, Joy is Found, poem for First Mennonite Christmas Eve service, 2012
- Finding the Flower in the Buried Bulb, Purpose magazine 2012.
2008 – 2010
- Breathing Gratitude – poem for First Mennonite Christmas Eve Service 2010.
- How down to earth are you Jesus? poem for Christmas Eve service at First Mennonite 2008.
- Writing through Loss – essays written in a Hospice writing class after my father’s passing in 2008.
- Weight Watchers and the Woman at the Well, Faith at Work magazine 1998.